History of Dodleston Manor Built in 1890 for the 1st Duke of Westminster as part of the Grosvenor Estate, Dodleston Manor was originally called New Farm. It was intended as a model farm, taking advantage of the latest (at the time!) farming methods as well as providing a good standard of living for the farmer and his family. Listed building The farmhouse is Grade II Listed and considered to be of national importance. Features include its red brick construction, blue diapering with half-timbered gables, red tile roofs and ornate chimneys. Also of interest is the J shaped farm outbuilding consisting of shippons with hay lofts over, granary barn and cart shed. Both buildings were designed by Chester architects Douglas and Fordham. John Douglas is probably best-known for Chester’s Eastgate Clock but he built or renovated some 500 buildings in Chester, Cheshire and north Wales. You can find out more about Douglas and Fordham on Wikipedia. Originally the farmhouse was used for cheese production with half of the house making cheese and also housing a chicken coup. Thankfully now the chickens have their own home outside in the orchard. Dodleston Manor remains a working farm and we have always farmed and bred Holstein Friesians cattle, and currently have a herd of 250. See our panoramic image below for a view of the buildings from the driveway.
2 Erwachsene 0 Kinder 1 Zimmer
1 Zimmer hinzugefügt